Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Gender Norms pt. 1: My Perfume

I wear perfume many days I work. I can enjoy women's and men's scents, they both have something to offer. Many days nobody will notice, some days some will say "oh, you smell nice" and in sure there are the days where I smell horrible but nobody says anything. Lol. ;-)

But today I brought a bottle of my favorite perfume and sat it in the break room. I originally meant to use it to freshen up every now and then, but what actually happened is much more interesting.

"who's perfume is this?"
Mine.
"you wear perfume?"
Third person joins in "nah don't come all up in here smellin' all sweet and fruity and shit" how interesting.

"whose is this?"
That is my perfume.
"this is your cologne?"
"No it is my perfume."

Throughout the night different people made different comments. One person said "cologne/perfume".

It is really interesting how much gender standards matter to most people. I wonder why what I am doing as a person matters to people I barely know.

No comments:

Post a Comment